What is X3D?
- A simple text language for describing 3-D shapes and interactive environments
- X3D text files use a .x3d, x3dj, x3dv, or .x3db extension
- .x3d (XML) - save to parse
- .x3dj (JSON) - good for scripting
- .x3dv (VRML) - easy to learn
- x3db (Binary) - good for large models
Note: all examples are in X3D Classic Encoded file format (.x3dv).
Should I use a 3D modeler and format translator?
- Very powerful drawing and animating features
- Can make photo-realistic images too
- May not support all X3D features
- May not produce most efficient X3D
- Not designed for X3D
- Often a one-way path from 3D modeler into X3D
- Easy to make shapes that are too complex